Hi! My name is cameron, and I am thrilled to invite you to contribute to a faith-building, multicultural project I call Color/Full.
As a young convertee to Unitarian Universalism, I have attended 3 General Assemblies so far. This photography project is an extension of the creative outreach I’ve done to UUs of Color in the last three years. Please view my previous work here: https://www.facebook.com/cameronwhittenpdx/media_set?set=a.10207994556582191.1073741837.1846435264&type=3
If you’d like more details about Color/Full and why it matters, please read below. And please, please share this link and DONATE!
Color/Full project mission:
To honor Unitarian Universalists of Color through creative vehicles that highlight their beauty and their stories, and provide a compelling, alternative vision of what the future of the Unitarian Universalist community can look like.
Why it matters:
Since the founding of the Unitarian and Universalist faiths, white culture has been accepted as the norm in both the structure and spirit of the church. While many people of color are inspired by the message and values of Unitarian Universalism, those who choose to belong to Unitarian Universalism are typically expected to assimilate into white culture. This lack of space for diversity and self-determination often leaves people of color feeling invisible and isolated, and has led to many people of color to abandon any formal affiliation with Unitarian Universalism. There remains so much work to be done on racial justice — and it is critical for UUs of color to have a sense of agency and empowerment in this work.
Color/Full is a photovoice project that provides an authentic path for creative and spiritually driven action on racial justice in the Unitarian Universalist tradition, with a mission to create lasting change on the individual, cultural, and institutional level. Through the confluence of photography, community engagement, and storytelling, this project creates a venue to honor and affirm the presence, experiences, and cultures of UUs of color.
Our Unitarian Universalist Principles call us to affirm the inherent worth and dignity of each person and to uphold justice, equity, and compassion in all human relations. Color/Full is a promising opportunity to promote a multicultural UUism that decenters whiteness and helps us get closer to making our core principles a reality.
- To publish 300 photos, names, and transcribed stories of UUs of color that attend the 2018 General Assembly, posted on a Facebook page and website created exclusively to promote this project.
- To support the new UUs of color to grow in comfort with the UU faith community.
- To build confidence, excitement, and community among new, current, and former UUs of color.
- To raise the visibility of UUs of color and encourage understanding and solidarity with the struggles of UUs of color.
- To shift Unitarian Universalist Association policies that are either adopted or in consideration in regards to reconciliation on racial justice.
07/09/2018Cameron I looked your GA 18 photos and I am honored to be part of your awesome project! Thanks$25.00