- UU Connection
The Unitarian Universalist Ministry for Earth is the primary fiscal sponsor of the Create Climate Justice initiative — deeply engaged in ongoing partnership with the Unitarian Universalist Association and UU organizations across the denomination to strengthen and grow UU Climate Justice ministries to the scale required in response to the existential crises of climate change.
This “Catalyze the Movement” fundraising campaign will support baseline operating expenses of UUMFE and the Create Climate Justice initiative (namely payroll for dedicated staff time) and scholarships for young UUs and UUs of the global majority to attend important retreats and convergences over the next 3 months.
More about the upcoming convergences that this campaign will support:
August 4-9th – the “Climate Justice: Extending our Reach” program at The Mountain Retreat and Learning Center in Highlands, NC will be an imporant time for in-depth learning and relationship building for the UU climate justice movement. Funds donated to this campaign will support 3-5 UUs of color and young UUs to attend this program.
August 22-26th – the InterNātional Initiative for Transformative Collaboration grassroots gathering “For Generations to Come” will be an inter-cultural, inter-faith convergence for peoples of all Nations – friends, allies, & relatives in the Sacred Black Hills (Paha Sapa). This gathering is an effort manifesting through years of relationship building and collaboration between UUs, Indigenous frontline community members, and partners, based upon an invitation into partnership that emerged at the Standing Rock Oceti Sakowin Camp. This will be a transformative and invaluable experience; funds donated will support UU partnership and participation in this effort.
September 15-17 – a strong UU coalition is hosting a program in Washington, DC focused on the Green New Deal and its underlying goals of creating economic justice and climate justice. A Green New Deal would create a necessary pathway for a Just Transition to an ecological civilization
The event will include worship, workshops, a keynote speaker, and an advocacy day on Capitol Hill. Hosting coalition partners include UUs for Just Economic Community, UUs for Social Justice, UU Ministry for Earth, UU Service Committee, All Souls Church Unitarian – D.C., and the UUA. Funds raised will support UUs of color and young UUs to be part of this program. (Photo Credit – Grist – Amelia Bates)
This campaign is also the online-component to a fundraising and speaking tour that UU Ministry for Earth is currently embarking on throughout Oregon and Washington:
UUMFE will be speaking at seven congregations throughout Oregon and Washington, leading up to the 2019 General Assembly in Spokane, to inspire and fortify the UU Climate Justice Movement and elevate the voice of the 11-year-old UU plaintiff to the historic Juliana v US constitutional climate lawsuit, Levi Draheim. UUMFE Program Director Aly Tharp, and “valve turner” Board Member Leonard Higgins will also be featured speakers and facilitators throughout the tour.
Numerous tour stops will include eco art builds to create beautiful and inspiring art pieces for the Procession of the Species event that UUMFE will host at the Spokane Convention Center & Riverfront Park on Thursday, June 20th at 5:30 pm.
The tour stops are:
- June 6th, First Unitarian Church, Portland, OR, 6:30 – 9 pm (doors at 6 pm) – vegan potluck begins at 6:30 and presentation begins at 7:30 pm
- June 9th, UU Church in Eugene, OR, 10 am worship service, 11:30 am after-church potluck, 12-12:45 presentation, 12:45-3 pm art build with eco-muralist Esteban Camacho-Steffensen, multi-media artist Patti Warner, and UUMFE Program Director Aly Tharp.
- June 10th, UU Fellowship of Corvallis, OR – 6:30 potluck and 7:30 presentation
- June 14th, Bellingham UU Fellowship, Bellingham, WA, 6:30 potluck and 7:30 presentation
- June 15th, East Shore Unitarian Church, Bellvue, WA, 11 am – 12:30 pm potluck and presentation, followed by a carpool/caravan to the Lummi Totem Pole Journey event in Seattle at 1 pm
- June 16th, University Unitarian Church, Seattle WA, 10 am worship service, 11:30-12:30 pm presentation
- June 16th, Woodinville UU Church, 3-4:30 eco-art build, 4:30 – 6 pm presentation, 6-7 pm potluck
Please help make this tremendous June fundraising effort a smashing success! Our planet and our hearts are calling for a strong, spiritually grounded transformative movement for Climate Justice. Only together and only with financial backing to manifest this vision can we make this happen. $10K is the baseline goal for this campaign — our stretch goal is $30K! Thank you for your support.