- Unitarian Universalism Connection
“In this age of thermonuclear bombs, violence is outmoded as the solution to the problems of men….Our direct action method is bringing down barriers all over the country, in jobs, in housing, in public places.” James Farmer, Civil Rights Activists (1963)
Nonviolent Owensboro is a group of socially active people whose mission is to practice and promote nonviolent living through education and community partnerships. To this end, we are seeking financial support to offer an 8 hour ‘Direct Action Training’ workshop for local leaders and concerned citizens. Nonviolent Owensboro meets monthly at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Owensboro, KY. (UUCO) Several of the congregation’s members, as well as the minister, Rev. Dr. Claudia Ramisch, are members in the Nonviolent Owensboro organization.
While active for only a year, the group has established a reputation as being a reliable partner in social causes. Some recent actions include:
- A five week silent protest showing solidarity with the local chapter of the NAACP as it lobbied for the relocation of a Confederate statue off the courthouse lawn
- Co-sponsoring a community candlelight vigil for the victims of the Las Vegas shootings
- Hosting a film series on the topics of bullying, torture, and the Palestinian/Israeli conflict
- Offering a public book discussion on the spirituality of nonviolence.
- Participating in the 11th Annual Meditation Peace Vigil on 11 Sept. held at UUCO
- Co-sponsoring the local National Day of Peace Rally in downtown Owensboro.
As our presence in the city of Owensboro continues to grow, it has become evident that formal training in the philosophy and practice of nonviolent direct action is imperative for our continued growth and effectiveness. Many of our partners have requested such training, as well. Nonviolent Owensboro is partnering with the Owensboro Daviess County Ministerial Association and the Ursuline Sisters of Mount St. Joseph, KY to bring this nonviolent direct action training through Pace e Bene to our area.
Pace e Bene is an independent, nondenominational, nonprofit organization fostering justice, peace and the well being of all though education, resources, and action for nonviolent change. It has initiated Campaign Nonviolence, a long term movement to mainstream nonviolence and to foster a culture of peace free from war, poverty, climate crisis, and the epidemic of violence.
For two decades Pace e Bene’s unique approach has been transforming lives and reaching people around the globe. Since its founding in 1989, over 30,000 people have taken 700 Pace e Bene workshops to gain tools for more healthy relationships and to create a new society.
Bringing this training to Owensboro KY, will allow our community members to:
- Learn about the Campaign Nonviolence vision and strategy
- Explore the power of nonviolence and how nonviolent change works
- Deepen skills for building Campaign Nonviolence locally
- Network and collaborate with others working for a better world
The 8 hour Direct Action Training is scheduled for Saturday, January 20, 2018. Zion United Church of Christ, Owensboro, KY has offered to serve as a host site for the training.
No city is immune to the proliferation of violent extremism. Please help Nonviolent Owensboro to be proactive in addressing violence and creating a city where peaceful and nonviolent reactions are the responses to our social issues.